Flash-Optimized Software Architecture
IntelliFlash Arrays are powered by Tegile’s IntelliFlash software architecture. This fast, flexible operating environment is designed to leverage different grades of storage media—hard disk, high-performance flash, high-density flash, etc.—in a single storage array. IntelliFlash understands the inherent characteristics of different storage media and intelligently manages the placement of data to deliver optimal performance (speed and latency) with the best possible economics. It also includes advanced data services, multi-protocol support, and flexible management capabilities, enabling you to significantly shrink your storage footprint, maximize uptime, consolidate workloads, and simplify storage administration.
Media longevity & reliability
IntelliFlash optimizes data layout for the underlying geometry of the medium (flash or hard disk) to ensure long life even under high I/O workload.
- Writes are aligned to sector boundaries for disks and to native page sizes of flash to avoid fragmented I/O and unnecessary media writes
- Flash wear is continually tracked and data are relocated to ensure uniform wear across flash pages.
- Data are de-duplicated & compressed before writing to media minimizing writes and extending media life
Consistent I/O & high capacity utilization
By virtualizing and aggregating physical media into resource pools and using a flash-optimized RAID scheme, IntelliFlash delivers consistent I/O performance with lower capacity overhead.
- Capacity allocation and provisioning are easy and on demand
- IntelliFlash RAID uses multi-parity protection schemes and dynamic stripe widths to eliminate performance overhead and media wear from read-modify-write operations
- I/O pipelining and data coalescing ensure consistent performance with lower average latency
System Availability & Reliability
Continuous information availability is paramount when deploying flash storage for enterprise applications. IntelliFlash is designed to deliver high resiliency and availability
- Dual controllers with Active/Active I/O handling for continuous data access
- Dual-ported media (flash and hard disks) and redundant I/O fabric ensure no single point of failure
- Capacity expansion, system upgrades, media swaps are fully non-disruptive with zero downtime – all with negligible performance impact.
Aggregation & Placement
Accelerated data services
IntelliFlash’s Metadata Aggregation and Placement Engine automatically separates metadata from application data. The engine organizes, aggregates, and places metadata on low-latency media enabling the acceleration of advanced data services
- Metadata are organized into flexible, multi-layered data structures and distributed across multiple flash media and fully protected.
- The multi-layered metadata management scheme facilitates storing and managing massive amounts of data at high I/O rates
- Benefits include high performance, inline data reduction across flash and hard disk, support for variable block sizes, and automated coalescing of data to match media’s native format
Caching & Scaling
Consistent performance at scale
By caching the most frequently-accessed metadata and application data in high-performance storage layers (DRAM and flash), IntelliFlash’s Caching and Scaling Engine delivers predictable latency for data reads and writes.
- Caching algorithms are adaptive and optimized for various I/O patterns to ensure high cache utilization rates
- Caching engine is designed to seamlessly adapt to differing media latencies across multiple levels of cache
- Automated expansion of metadata storage space ensures dynamic scaling of metadata management and advanced data services to handle massive data sets
Inline data deduplication & compression
By reducing storage consumption and avoiding unnecessary writes, IntelliFlash data reduction technologies minimize media wear
- Inline data deduplication eliminates redundant data blocks and can be enabled at a storage pool, or LUN/file share level, using variable block sizes
- A choice of compression algorithms are available to address the needs of various workloads
- By enabling more data to be served out of flash and DRAM, deduplication and compression accelerate storage system performance
Thin snapshots, clones & integrity checks
The IntelliFlash data protection services keep data safe, secure and always available with no impact on performance.
- IntelliFlash delivers in-line 256-bit AES encryption for data at rest on flash and hard disk with no impact to performance
- Checksum matching for data blocks and automatically fixing corrupt blocks protect against silent data corruption
- Instantaneous thin snapshots create space-efficient, point-in-time copies of data for backups and quick restores
Remote replication & consistent restores
IntelliFlash data recovery features enable enterprises to recover quickly from data loss or corruption, or even site outages.
- VM- and application-consistent snapshots enable instantaneous, stable recovery
- Intelligent data reconstruction ensures quick recovery from media failures and minimizes the window of exposure to another failure
- Site-to-site WAN-optimized replication of aggregated volumes in a consistency group enables bandwidth-efficient disaster recovery and business continuity
Protocols | Management
Block & file
IntelliFlash is architected to natively provide block and file access to meet the needs of different workloads, and consolidate workloads on a single array. The architecture is extensible, enabling easy addition of other protocols.
- Supported block protocols include iSCSI and Fibre Channel
- Supported file protocols are NFS, CIFS & SMB 3.0
- For all protocols, redundant fabric capabilities allow data access over multiple redundant paths
User & Programmable Interfaces
Enterprises need flexible options to manage storage in complex datacenter environments. IntelliFlash provides easy to use and solution-integrated storage management options, and CallHome functions ensure proactive, timely intervention.
- The WebUI is a simple and easy to use interface for comprehensive management of Tegile arrays
- A programmable task-oriented REST API enables scripted and automated storage management
- A plugin allows Tegile arrays to be managed through VMware vCenter, and management integration enables the arrays to be managed through Microsoft SCVMM*